HELP SAVE LIVES!
In an American Red Cross lifeguard course, you will learn all of the skills necessary to be a certified Lifeguard. The purpose of the American Red Cross Certification is to teach participants the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. Upon completion of the course, you will receive a 2-year certification for American Red Cross Lifeguarding which includes CPR, First-aid, and AED training. WE'RE HIRING ALL SHIFTS AT THE Y! ESPECIALLY EARLY MORNINGS AND AFTERNOONS.
The course content and activities prepare participants to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and to prevent drowning and injuries.
2024 COURSE INFORMATION:
- Dates & Times:
- SESSIONS OFFERED: November 16-20, 2023
- Participants can expect a 5pm-8pm class on weekdays and 9am-6pm class on Sat/Sun (with lunch break). The instructor can make changes as needed.
- Participants must attend all classes within a session
- If you do not pass the pre-req swim test or the course itself, the instructor will communicate what you need to do next.
- The course is only a full weekend--you do not have to sign up for multiple courses at a time.
- FULL CERTIFICATION OFFERED ONLY AT THIS TIME.
- YMCA Member $175 (a participant who does not pass the pre-req swim will receive a refund of $150)
- YMCA Nonmember $200 (a participant who does not pass the pre-req swim will receive a refund of $175)
- A refund is not available for participants who do not pass the course based on Lifeguard Instructor assessments and tests.
- If the participant is offered extra class time per the Lifeguard Instructor, an added fee may be assessed to the participant's YMCA account for the accomodation.
- 15 Years of age on or before the final day of the course, participants under the age of 18 must have parent consent
- MUST ATTEND ALL CLASSES; NO MAKE-UPS
- Complete online learning courses and tests
- 300 yard swim using the two approach strokes – freestyle (front crawl) and breast stroke. Participants must complete the entire swim without stopping. Goggles may be used for this part of the test.
- 2 minute tread test. Participants must tread water for 2 minutes using only their legs.
- Retrieve a 10 pound weight tow. Each participant must swim out 20 yards using either approach stroke, dive down 7-10 feet and retrieve the 10 lb. brick, surface, tow the brick back 20 yards, and exit the pool without assistance. During this tow, your head must stay above water. Also, this entire event must be completed in 1 minute and 40 seconds.
Course Schedule: Pre-req swim tests occur on Thursday evening, water skills and book days Friday-Sunday, with test out on Monday evening.
The YMCA will reimburse 50% of the class cost if a passing participant is hired and works with us for at least 10 hours/week for 6 months.
The Y strives to train the best lifeguards around in an effort to hire directly from certified lifeguard courses. We are dedicated to providing the best staff to ensure the safety of our members and guests while in the pool. If you would like to apply to become a lifeguard, please view our current openings here or email firstname.lastname@example.org.