HELP SAVE LIVES!
In an American Red Cross lifeguard course, you will learn all of the skills necessary to be a certified Lifeguard. The purpose of the American Red Cross Certification is to teach participants the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. Upon completion of the course, you will receive a 2-year certification for American Red Cross Lifeguarding which includes CPR, First-aid, and AED training.
The course content and activities prepare participants to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and to prevent drowning and injuries.
Request an Interview (non certified applicants are encouraged to reach out to us)
2021 COURSE INFORMATION:
- WE WILL SCHEDULE ANOTHER COURSE BASED ON INTEREST AND INTERVIEWS.
- We are having a hiring event from now until August 10th. Request an interview above.
- Participants must attend all classes within a session
- RECERTIFICATION for a current Red Cross holder or no more than 90 days expiration: Cost is $125 for members and $175 for non-members
- FULL CERTIFICATION: Cost is $175 for members and $200 for non-members
- 15 Years of age on or before the final day of the course, participants under the age of 18 must have parent consent
- MUST ATTEND ALL CLASSES; NO MAKE-UPS
- Complete online learning courses and tests
- 300 yard swim using the two approach strokes – freestyle (front crawl) and breast stroke. Participants must complete the entire swim without stopping. Goggles may be used for this part of the test.
- 2 minute tread test. Participants must tread water for 2 minutes using only their legs.
- Retrieve a 10 pound weight tow. Each participant must swim out 20 yards using either approach stroke, dive down 7-10 feet and retrieve the 10 lb. brick, surface, tow the brick back 20 yards, and exit the pool without assistance. During this tow, your head must stay above water. Also, this entire event must be completed in 1 minute and 40 seconds.
The YMCA will reimburse 50% of the class cost if a passing participant is hired and works with us for at least 10 hours/week for 6 months.
The Y strives to train the best lifeguards around in an effort to hire directly from certified lifeguard courses. We are dedicated to providing the best staff to ensure the safety of our members and guests while in the pool. If you would like to apply to become a lifeguard, please view our current openings here or email email@example.com.